Sunday 30 May 2010

Simple Ratatouille

There are many ways to make Ratatouille, and the ingredients can vary. For example I don't care for aubergines so I always leave them out, sometimes I add peas, sometimes sweetcorn, sometimes I mix it up with chicken pieces, and sometimes I may add chickpeas or mangetouts or french beans, etc.

This is my basic Ratatouille recipe

500g carton of tomato passata (sieved tomatoes). A tin of chopped tomatoes can be used if you like
1 x courgette, thickly sliced
4-6 x tomatoes (quantity depends on size), deseeded and chopped into quarters
200g tin of garden peas
1 x red pepper, deseeded and chopped into large pieces
1 x large onion - preferably a red onion but a white one will do, chopped into large slices
1 x clove of garlic, finely chopped

1 x red chili, deseeded & finely chopped or a pinch of chili flakes
olive oil
salt & pepper to taste

I like to cook my ratatouille so that the vegetables are still crunchy when served. Apart from still preserving the flavour in the vegetables its also much nicer to eat like that rather than mushy like the shop bought stuff.

  • Heat oil in a large casserole dish. Add the garlic & chili / chili flakes and allow them to sweat for 10 minutes on a low heat.
  • Add the pepper, onion and courgette. Season with salt and pepper, stir and cook for a further 10 minutes with the lid on.
  • Pour in the tomato passata, chopped tomatoes & peas, stir and check the seasoning. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
  • Stir in the basil just before turning off the heat, then serve.
 The above recipe goes great with sausages, pork or chicken and I generally serve it with mashed potato, although new potatoes coated in butter & chives are a great accompaniment as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

Age: 40...something. Nowhere near the back half though! When I'm not doing nothing I'm usually doing something else, probably involved with working as an Estimator for a partitioning manufacturer & installer in the U.K.